Sunday, October 16, 2011

Je ne parle pas Français (Nantes!)

I had to look up that phrase to figure out how to spell it. French is SO difficult to read.

My body's begging for a good five hour nap right now, but I have to blog before I forget everything.

Gen and I went to Nantes this weekend to see our friends Nico and Scotty. Really good people. Nantes reminds me of Seattle in the fall. Foggy mornings, brisk, clear skies. Fresh, fresh air. I've missed it.

I also wish that I had learned French alongside Spanish. If it weren't for Nico and Scotty helping Genevieve and I with every single interaction, we probably wouldn't have survived the weekend...

Nantes is cute, and quaint, and how I imagined France. Everyone is beautiful. Maybe I say that about every place I visit in Europe. So let's try and be more precise (like French! Oh my gosh – French is so, so, so precise — they have different ways of saying "yes" depending on what you're saying "yes" to. So cool.) Everyone in France is stylish, trendy, fashion-forward...ahh!

Didn't see too many colors though.

So this is what I write like with three hours of sleep.

Skyped with Alvaro last night which was really really nice! Forgot what it was like to have Alvaro and Scotty in the same room (sort of). Geezers.

Ate crepes and galettes, which were amazing. Learned some new French food words.

Danced for a short time with a French man named Alexis who then tried to nibble on my ear (???) Scotty told me to take it as a compliment. I'm not too sure about that.

The university in Nantes looks very similar to University of Washington.

Nico cooks very well. He made us AMAZING hot chocolate and coffee.

Gen and I ate a lot of sugar this weekend. Straight up sugar cubes. And red bull.

The gala was really cool — like a really, really extravagant prom. Scotty taught us how to dance salsa, and since he's really good, he makes all of us look good. Bwhaha. Videos coming up soon, maybe.

It was cool to see some of the places where Scotty spent his time abroad in Nantes. It's funny to think that I might be giving the same sort of tour to someone when I come back to Barcelona in a few years (wishful thinking).

Made new friends Justine and Aurelie, whose name sounds a bit like "Oh, really?" Scotty gets a good laugh out of that.

They made us the cutest little dinner with heart plates and cucumber sandwiches, and wine with little sugar candies stuck on the sides of the glasses. Yum.

My new heels slaughtered my feet at the gala. Danced to good hits from the early 2000s. Lol.

I think I still have red bull flowing through my veins because I can't seem to work up enough fatigue for a nap, but I know know know that I need one.

This weekend was really really nice. I hope to go to France again sometime. I'd also really like to learn French. and Portuguese.

Sang "I Will Survive" twice this weekend. Maybe again tonight.

Also, booked a flight to Boston before I head back to Seattle. Looking forward to seeing the East coast; it's been awhile.

Check my facebook for photos. Dahhhhhh.

1 comment: